Monday, September 15, 2008

What a day!






So here we are at the Trumbull Arts Festival at 7am in the morning, setting up tent and table. It just stopped down pouring and we were thinking this day isn't going to be fun.










With kids in tow, rain trickling and that muggy feeling all around we just realized our tent was stuck out in left field! Geez, we knew the traffic flow would be even slower because of the placement of our tent.



To make matters worse, by 10am (the opening time of the show) the sun started to peak through and droplets of sweat start to pour off our brows.



By 11am we were stuck in this hot sauna of a day, for the rest of the day. Fortunately, no rain meant people would be more likely to walk! Noon time: no one is crying YET and YES there are people walking the festival and even buying!






1 pm, Now, for the jury to deliberate the winning vendors of the day. Oh well! I didn't come in at all but neither did 65 other vendors so I don't feel so bad! (I do need to work on display, but for a first time vendor, I pat myself on the back!)







Ok, Ok, I made some sales and the day turned out great. With my little helper handing out flyers and making cute talk with people, he managed to lure people in and HOOK 'EM!


I managed to go through at least two boxes of biz cards and other marketing materials I had. All and all - good job!


At 2pm an interview by Channel 17 stopped by to chat with The Merry Bird. I asked them to put me in soft focus and let my helper do all the talking! lol


Thanks to my husband for helping set up the tent and table, it made it easy. He even took the baby home for a three hour nap and returned to take my little helper out to lunch.


What a team! Now maybe next year I'll get a space that is in the middle of all the flowing traffic!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Merry Bird,
Lovely name! I just discovered the WE magazine list of "101 Bloggers to Watch" today & Heidi said to tell you she sent me. Your art looks beautiful. I'll be back.

BeaK. said...

Hi Kristine,

It would appear that you did just fine.

These types of shows can be very demanding.

Sometimes you can make location a barter tool to saying yes or no to the event...if it's a paid inclusion.

At least you had helpers...that's a very good thing.

Wishing you more and more success.

Bea Kunz