Friday, July 27, 2007

How successful will stationers and stationery designers be in near future?

How successful will stationers and stationery designers be in near future? Will they become stationary (spelling intended)?

This question looms over head while I take on the first steps of operating my invitation/card business here online. My objective is to attract online and offline vendors that sell boxed notes, find brides that want a special pen and ink, hand drawn invitations or sell birth announcements and other paper imprintables to individuals or shop owners. This can all be done through an online venue, which is an incredible medium for communication. The internet will allow me to reach more people than on foot. This is the upside of what I love to do.

On the other hand, what I’m finding is that the stationery industry depends on postal service, paper and the need for more trees and printing. But as the web world takes over with e-invites, “Green” sites and email thank you notes, along with the postage increase for letters and shipping, I’m wondering if I am doing this job in Vain. Will stationers become obsolete?

One shop keeper said “No way! The stationery industry depends on the sentimentality of the customer as well as the professionalism of the purpose behind the purchase”. I began to think positive again and reached deep within to ask myself a couple of questions. One: would I ever send a wedding invitation via email? And two: how do I feel when I receive a letter in the mail from a friend or relative? My answer didn’t surprise me. I would never send a wedding invitation via email ( I didn’t back then and I wouldn’t now) and I love to receive letters from friends and relatives on lovely stationery or note cards. So I beg to agree that as long as people are sentimental or long to project a tangible professional image about themselves or company, stationery designers and stationers will continue to thrive.

As a designer I know the need for technology is imminent and is impressive when it comes to the “new” tool department. We no longer need just pencil and paper, paint and canvas or clay to mold. So with this in mind I welcome technical advances while I hold onto the old school of thought that romance can be found in letters, and that sending an event invitation projects the image or theme of the day, while professionalism is evident in custom stationery.

Why think in only 2 dimensions. It’s receiving that quality note card, stationery or invitation in the mail that makes the 3 dimensional world interesting!

Kristine Sheehan
The Merry Bird…pen, ink and design
http://www.themerrybird.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A letter, note or postcard are so pleasant to receive when it is your birthday, holiday or any special occasion. As long as stationers and designers can be innnovative and creative, I feel it is still a very strong market. Nothing says it better than words and a lovely graphic that can be heartwarming. You 've got mail.........but I mean the real thing. Everyday we receive bills, junk mail, advertisements. How pleasant it is to hear from friends, loved ones,those far away, and special people.