Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Swimming with Logo Design


The vast sea of logo designs found on the web today can be extremely intimidating. Some Logo’s of course are better than others and some just plain Rock!

While researching this ocean of design for inspiration, I realized that comparing logo designs was like comparing sharks to whales. I went surfing the web for logos in which formal training in design could be detected. I hold the logos I found in some galleries in high regard. But, I reminded myself that many logo galleries presented online are “mapped” out to the advantage of the designer. This is a shark pool. Logos are put together for the purpose of learning and displaying expertise. Many logos found in these galleries are made up for a fictitious client, with parameters that fit the designers need and wants. A “real” client logo design would never fit a mold and is often the reason for a design challenge, therefore I see it as the Whale.

Keep swimming.

Coming up for air, I read a great article by Graham Smith, 9 Solid Logo Design Tips for Beginners. Although I’ve been a freelancer for years, his check list for logo design reminded me how to paddle my logo board and catch the next wave with confidence.

The Two Tips that I like best are:

---Be sure the Logo design is flexible and can be printed on big and small mediums. ie. Key chains or a BillBoard.

---Design the logo in Vector format. An Illustrator file makes it easy to increase or reduce the image size with ease. You won’t have to deal with pixellated images later!


Keep pace and follow your instincts. The next wave is rolling in – Catch it! It could be a Whale of a day! :)


Author: Kristine Sheehan
TheMerryBird.com
"Your Stationery in Flight"

2 comments:

Maggie John said...

Thanks for taking the time to Share this, I really feel strongly about it and love learning extra on this topic. If doable, as you acquire expertise, would you mind updating your weblog with extra info? This can be very helpful for me.

Logo Design

The Merry Bird said...

Thanks Maggie for flying in! I too love to learn about logo topics and will share extra info as it arises! follow me on Twitter @themerrybird