Monday, April 08, 2013

Today's Meet The Author: Tima Marie Lacoba


Tima and I crossed paths on Twitter recently. Here's what I learned about her and her upcoming novel.

Glad to speak with you today Tima!


Tell us about all about you…as the non- author first then about you as author.
I’m an archaeologist and ancient historian who turned high school teacher, and loved – almost – every minute of it. I used to take my students on excursions to Italy, France and Britain to visit archaeological sites there. Only recently I decided to quit and pursue my MPhil in Ancient History when I began to write Bloodgifted. The idea popped into my head during one summer holiday and took off from there.
That was three and a half years ago.
Since then, I’ve entered several writing competitions and came 4th in one and 7th in another, and only last week was offered a publishing contract.

How long have you been writing?
I only started writing fiction three and a half years ago. Before that, it was academic papers and a thesis. So, this is a huge shift for me – and I love it. I don’t know if I’ll ever go back and finish that MPhil!

What inspires you to write in the style that you do? (what genre do you write in? does it vary?)
I write paranormal romance – vampire stuff. Ever since I was a teen I loved anything to do with the mysterious, the paranormal, and vampires in particular.
Someone once said, write what you love, and what you would read. And, that’s exactly what I do.
My shelves are filled with books by Maggie Shayne, MaryJanice Davidson, Tanya Huff, Charlene Harris and Lindsay J Pryor.

How many words per day do you like to write? Is that a daily goal or weekly goal?
I don’t have a set routine, as that simply doesn’t work for me, but when I can, I try to write at least a thousand words a day. Otherwise I work on editing, plotting the next book, creating a genealogy of my characters, or planning my promo images.

What is the name of your first book? How long ago was
It printed? Where did you market it and did you have a good sale number?
My debut novel is called Bloodgifted. It’s due for release in May and I hope – like every other author on the planet –  that it ends up being a good seller. As it's not on the market yet, the rest of those questions will have to be saved for another time.

I understand you have a book series. How many books are in the series (or will be in the series when completed)? How did you come to write a series?
Yes, Bloodgifted is Book 1 in the Dantonville Legacy series. At the moment I’m planning on a trilogy, although there could be the possibility of a fourth book.
As soon as I began Bloodgifted, I knew one book would not be enough to tell the complete story. Although set in modern Sydney, the tale itself begins almost two thousand years earlier, in Roman Britain. There’s an epic quality to it.
When I’ve completed this series, I intend writing a spinoff featuring the secondary characters from Dantonville. After all, each of them has their own unique story to tell.
How do you feel about online book reading? Do you have a book that you’ve written for a digital shelf like ibooks or kindle?
I love my kindle, but I still enjoy the feel of a paperback. Bloodgifted will be released as both ebook and POD (Print-onDemand) on Amazon, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony and Apple, so readers will have a choice.

Do you think it’s worth to ask buyers to purchase a digital novel for the same amount of $ as a print novel?
No, not really. The digital doesn’t include the cost of the paper, printing and cover, as well as distribution. As such my ebook will be at least $10 less than the POD.
How do you think the change in the publishing industry affects authors today?
I think it’s fantastic as it gives writers a far greater choice. Gone are the days when authors were slaves to the whims of the publishing industry. Now, we don’t have to rely on their approval.
It means a lot more work, though, but for the control freaks among us (* cough, cough*) the independence to be in charge of our own creation and earn decent royalties in return, is worth it.

If you could give a budding author advice what would it be?
Write what you love and don’t give up. Enter as many competitions as you can for the experience, but especially for the exposure. It’s good to compare your writing to the best, and always aim high. Also, join a writers group near your as they’ll be your best source of encouragement and support, as well as providing practical help with editing and critiquing your manuscript.

Can you recommend our readers a publisher that you like to work with?
There are a lot of good publishers out there and I think it’s a matter of finding the right one for you.
Recently I was offered a publishing contract, but later realized (thankfully before I signed the contract), they weren’t right for me. I’ve since decided to go indie.

If you could be a famous author, who would it be and why?
I couldn’t possibly choose just one; perhaps a combination of Maggie Shayne, Mary Janice Davidson and Lindsay J Pryor.  They write page turning stories, with great plots, interesting characters and memorable dialogue.

Tell us where we can find your book(s) and provide a link!
Okay, once my book’s released – in May – it’ll be available on Amazon, Smashwords, Kobo and other online retailers. 
The link will be on my website – http://bloodgifted.blogspot.com
On Goodreads –
and on my facebook page – www.facebook.timamarialacoba.com

Thank you Tima! Keep me posted on how your new work is evolving!

You’re welcome Kristine. Thank you for asking me.

No comments: